Sunday, March 8, 2009

Being a good friend

Today was International Women's Day so I intended to make an attempt to address a gender issue, but it has not happened. I do have a couple ideas that will hopefully be put to action later this week. Here are a couple stats on the status of women in our world currently: http://www.internationalwomensday.com/facts.asp


For today's attempt at a better world though, I tried to be a good friend. I called up a friend I hadn't talked to for quite a while. We talked about careers, school, organizations we care about, the state of human knowledge and, of course, girls.

This was not too public but I do feel it is an important part of my better world. Friends and personal networks are foundations of community. The best ones act both to hold us accountable and challenge and support us in becoming the best human beings we can be. They give us love, purpose, and identity. So I spent a very enjoyable hour or two fostering a quality friendship.

What do you think about the role of friendships and personal community in building a better world? Is this attempt making the world a better place or escaping from my personal pledge.

Regardless, I encourage you to call a friend or family member you haven't talked to in a while. Especially if its a woman or me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment